Monday, September 2, 2013

Cub Scout Neckerchief Slides

I have been trying to incorporate a new neckerchief into our lessons with Cub Scouts. They are so easy to make and the boys love them. So far we have made a derby car, a s'more, and a camp fire. I plan on doing some holiday ones coming up...so keep a look out for those.

THE DERBY CAR


This neckerchief I made ahead of time for the boys to receive once they registered for our Pinewood Derby. This is molding bought from Lowes....then sanded down to remove one beveled edge. I painted them blue...added the Cub Scout Logo...and flat thumb tacks that were painted black for wheels. Once all dry....I hot glued a small piece of  PVC pipe to the back. These were not hard to make...the time consuming part was the sanding and painting. If I could have found a piece of molding without the extra bevel....I wouldn't have had to sand hardly any ay all.



THE CAMP FIRE

 
I downloaded a camp fire template off the internet. It had 3 separate flames to create the fire. I opted to use only 2 since I was preparing kits for our district camping trip and 200 was a lot to do..... I traced each flame onto colored foam and cut out. I then used mini popsicle sticks and colored them brown with a marker. I use a fine tip sharpie to add detail such as knots and lines in the 'bark' on the 'logs'. To assemble...you just place the smaller flame on top of the larger one...and add your 'logs' crossing them like in a real fire. We use pipe cleaners for the back to attach them to the neckerchiefs. These were a big hit...even the girls made them and then used them in their hair for decoration.


THE S'MORE

We met a few weeks back to finish up our Summertime Activity Awards. The boys played Scout Bingo, made S'more Neckerchief Slides and ate S'more's on a Stick.

I precut the foam/felt ahead of time so the kids could focus on the assembly. I went with 2x2 squares to make them noticeable but not too big to wear. The light foam served as the graham cracker. The dark brown served as chocolate and the marshmellow was a cotton ball un-coiled. We then hot glued a piece of PVC pipe (or pipe cleaner) to the back.


 

No comments: